When this release was announced by No Sleep Records I was happy for more than one reason. First of all I was really looking forward to new material by Daisyhead who had a pretty convincing awesome debut last year with their EP "I Couldn't Face You". Although I was even happier that No Sleep put out that split as this already indicated that there is a lot more to come from these dudes. Last but not least I was really happy that the other band on that split is Have Mercy. They already have a LP out and gained a lot of attention, especially last year. So how did it actually came out?
The Music
Yes, I have been praising Daisyhead a lot in the introduction and to state my point I say that "Dishonest" is the strongest and catchiest track on that split. The track is a proof that there is even more potential than you could already hear on the debut. Their second track "Wonder" neither disappoints but comparing it to the EP and the first track it is rather different.
Despite all the praising and compliments towards Daisyhead I must admit that the tracks by Have Mercy also caught me, although I wasn't really into this band before. "Pete Rose and Babe Ruth" has a really powerful chorus that impressed me (I'm definitely getting their latest LP now!). I can't really compare them but when I heard that song I had to think of Jimmy Eat World although it may inly be a similar vibe. "Pawn Takes Rook" keeps things quiet in the beginning but builds up to a very powerful bridge in the middle. If anyone lovesick would ask me for a good band to check out I'd reply with Have Mercy only because of that song. Most songs of that sort are either really cheesy or just too whiny but this one caught me.
The Vinyl
The Verdict
I think that I already stated my point. For most people this will be a suprisingly good release as they maybe didn't know Daisyhead yet. Although this was one of the best releases for 2014 yet and I can't wait to hear new material from both bands. If you have a few bucks left, get this!!
Get this release HERE.
9/10

Keine Kommentare :
Kommentar veröffentlichen